How to Make a Crepe Paper Cabbage Rose

crrepecabbagerosecraftberrybush-3

Good day, friends and Happy Friday. Speaking of Friday, I was having a nice conversation with our daughter last night when this happened…

Bella: “Momma, can you believe tomorrow is Friday already?
Me: “Sorry baby but tomorrow is Thursday
Bella: “No, today is Thursday
Me: “No, today is Wednesday
Bella: “Ummm…”
Me: “Promise? Bella don’t mess with me, is today really Thursday?” As I frantically looked at the date on my phone…
Me: “Ack IT IS THURSDAY!’
Long story short, I was honestly an entire day behind, which most times would be so great but not when you have deadlines.

But I digress. Look at what I worked on yesterday (Wednesday or Thursday). I tried my best to explain the process and I still owe you another tutorial, but here is the first one.

crrepecabbagerosecraftberrybush-12

I used Lia Griffith Crepe Paper, which is by far the best I’ve ever used. This one is a very sweet ivory white.

1. Cut approximately 42 petals, making sure the grain is running up and down and not horizontally.

crrepecabbagerosecraftberrybush-13

2. Optional (but I find it adds more dimension to the flower)  – With chalk pastel, color the top of the petals.

crrepecabbagerosecraftberrybush-14

3. Separate petals and cup them by gently stretching the center of the petals.

crrepecabbagerosecraftberrybush-15

4. Arrange petals in 6 groups of 7 petals. Apply a spot of glue to the bottom of each petal and glue together forming a little bundle.

crrepecabbagerosecraftberrybush-16

5. Glue each bundle together by applying glue at the edge of each bundle and creating a row.

crrepecabbagerosecraftberrybush-17

6. Fold a long and narrow piece of crepe paper and fringe the top.

crrepecabbagerosecraftberrybush-18

7. Roll and color the top if desired.

crrepecabbagerosecraftberrybush-19

8. I didn’t have any floral wire or tape so I just used a stem from an old faux flower.

crrepecabbagerosecraftberrybush-20

9. Glue and wrap fringe around the stem.

crrepecabbagerosecraftberrybush-21

10. Wrap row of petals around fringe and stem and secure with hot glue.

crrepecabbagerosecraftberrybush-23

11. Cut approximately 7 round petals and cup.

crrepecabbagerosecraftberrybush-22

12. Glue petals all around making sure they’re a little higher than the inner petals.

crrepecabbagerosecraftberrybush-7
And there you go!  I hope that was somewhat clear. Feel free to leave a comment below if you have any questions and I’ll try my best to answer them.

Please find other flower tutorials you might also want to check out below.

Thank you so much for stopping by today. I hope you have an amazing weekend!

Lucy

Pin this for later:

crepepaperrosetutorialpin

crepebouquettutorialcraftberrybushwithheader

Crepe paper peony

crepetuliptutorialcraftberrybush Crepe paper tulip tutorial

017 Faux Mulberry Paper Rose

Comments

1. Lea says

My goodness, I don’t know where I’ve been, but I’ve never seen anything like this! This and all your other flowers are SOOOOOO beautiful!
    How do you clean them? We live in the country and I have 4 BOYS!….LOTS of dust….

2. Rebecca Nelson says

I used to make crepe paper flowers when I was a teenager, and haven’t done that for quite a long time. These are so lovely and soft.

3. Judy Davey says

Thank you! Amazing! Imthoughtnyounused peach paper…but no…white, that you colored. I, sure that’s why they look extra special. Thanks again!

4. Kathy says

THANK YOU for the tutorial!!!! I’m so anxious to give it a try! Just kind of wondering about the dimensions you used for the petals and the round petals???

• says

Thank you for asking the inner petals are approximately 5cm and the outer or round petals are approximately 3″ wide. I’ll adjust the post to reflect that. :) xo

5. janet says

Beautiful roses – thank you so very much for the “how to” :-)
    I agree, Lia’s crepe paper is stunning – love it!

6. Gail Plaskiewicz says

Wow, those almost look real. No, what am I saying, they do look real, not almost. I am a flower lover but we have mutant ninja squirrels in our back yard. I am so serious! Any real flowers I try to plant or have planted get torn up by those nasty squirrels. I’ll bet if I had yours in a pot they would ruin those too so they would have to be kept inside. I know there is a reason God made squirrels, but as of right now I can’t think of any reason for them being around.
    I’d do lots more colors but that’s just me. Thanks for showing us your beautiful flowers!

7. Laurie says

Is this double-sided crepe paper? I have not done flower crafting and am confused as to when to use fine crepe paper and when to use double-sided.

8. Vicki says

Did you use a sealant when using the pastel chalk? I got all excited when I saw this post and immediately did the responsible thing…opened my Amazon app! Almost every pastel kit I see recommends a sealant; which is why I thought I should ask. I make these for my grandmother. She has dimentia and gets sad when her real flowers die. So, I have been learning how to make flowers like this. She thinks they are real and is always excited when I add one to her bouquet. Thank you so much.