Front Porch Planters

frontporchplantercraftberrybush.com

Hello, and happy Thursday! I’m excited to share my very first outdoor post of the year. I was a little hesitant to plant my outdoor planters so early in the season – especially the ferns and hydrangeas – as the temperatures are still dropping in the evenings, but we haven’t had any frost warnings so I think they might be ok.

Outdoor-Extravaganza-2017
I’m happy to join my friend Shauna once again for the Outdoor Extravaganza. This is the third year participating and I love that this series challenges me to tackle some projects outside. I’m not much of a gardener but as I get older, I keep dreaming of beautiful gardens.

Here are some from previous years…

succulentbirdcageplanterindoorscraftberrybush1 Succulent Birdcage

succulentplantercraftberrybush (1 of 1)-2 Succulent Centerpiece

frontporchplantercraftberrybush.com-2 Oh, hi sweetheart!

frontporchplantercraftberrybush.com-3

frontporchplantercraftberrybush.com-19

My husband bought the tall wicker planters a couple of years ago from Costco, but here is my affiliate link to some from amazon.
frontporchplantercraftberrybush.com-21

I’ve always wanted to have blue hydrangeas in my planters but felt they were too short for that space so I have resorted to either palm trees or taller topiaries. I placed some birch logs in the center to give the planter a little more height and while I still think they are a little too short, I love how they look against the fern and the contrast of the potato ivy.

frontporchplantercraftberrybush.com-4

I also planted some pretty pansies to coordinate…

how to plant a planter
I first planted the fern, followed by the hydrangeas, the potato ivy and lastly, I inserted two birch logs for a little height.

frontporchplantercraftberrybush.com-12

I’m hoping that as the weather improves, they will get nice and full. Which reminds me…would you mind sharing any tips for healthy planters with a novice like me?

frontporchplantercraftberrybush.com-9

Funny story about Brody: he LOVES going to the nursery with me. I’m not sure what it is about that place that he loves, but each time I pull into the parking lot, he starts whining and can’t wait to get out of the car and go in. It makes me laugh.

frontporchplantercraftberrybush.com-10

And of course, my faithful companion by my side no matter what I’m doing.  Dogs are such joy.

Well, that’s it for now. I’m working on a little refreshing of our front door as well and will share with you next week. In the meantime, please check out the rest of the beautiful outdoor projects below.

DIY-Gardening-Projects-Outdoor-Extravaganza

How to Give a Basic Clay Pot a Beautiful Copper Patina Finish by The Happy Housie

Faux Succulent Bird Cage Planter by Making it in the Mountains

Tomato Sauce Garden Gift Basket by Satori Design for Living

Paint Dipped Succulent Log Planter by The DIY Mommy

Front Porch Planters by Craftberry Bush

Spring Patio Flowers by Elliven Studio

The Best Tip for Filling Large Planters by So Much Better with Age

Comments

Brody! BERNER! Are you following Berners of Instagram?! We have an almost 3 year old Chloe (we refer to her as the miley cyrus of berners… circa 2015 before she started back up with hemsworth!
    Where did you find the wicker planters? love

These are so beautiful, Lucy. I can’t wait for the rain to stop so I can get outside and start doing my pots up for summer! We’ve had such a cool, rainy spring. The blue hydrangea and all the greens pop so beautifully against the dark resin planter. Gorgeous, as always!!

3. Teddee Grace says

…and your dog looks so content among the pots and potting soil! There must be something about the aroma that he truly enjoys! Great photos.

I have a thing for ferns and hydrangea, so, of course, I love them. I have the same tall planters but have’t gotten around to planting anything in them yet. We’re still dipping near freezing at night. Hopefully soon. Thanks for participating again. I always look forward to seeing your beautiful projects!

5. cindy jones says

For deep planters, I fill them 1/3 to half full with soda cans or packing peanuts. Just make sure to leave enough room for about 1 1/2 times the pot depth for potting soil. This makes planter much lighter and more manageable.

6. Edita says

I was also wondering where you bought these beautiful planters from. I love the colors and textures. Would love to recreate if I can find same or similar pieces.

7. Debbie says

I’m new to your blog, but since someone else hasn’t answered your plea for tips on keeping planters looking good, I’ll dive in.

First, I highly recommend a potting soil with “moisture control” – what that means is there are particles built in that hold onto water and release it slowly so the soil doesn’t dry out too quickly. This is especially helpful if you tend to go away for a weekend and won’t be around to check your plants for water.

Make sure you have plenty of drainage holes in your planter. I worked for a florist for several years, and we always watered the planters until the water ran through, then let them get a *little* dry before watering again (over-watering kills plants, so make sure the roots can breathe). Cindy Jones (above) had a great suggestion for filling the bottom of a large container like yours. Just make sure it isn’t too top heavy – maybe put a couple of bricks or large stones in the very bottom, especially if it’s where the wind can blow it over.

Adding birch logs for height is such a neat idea! Remember that you can put that hydrangea in the ground – it’s probably perennial where you live, and you’ll be able to enjoy it year after year.