Chocolate mint homemade lip balm

Hi everyone ! I hope you are having a great week so far.
Last week we experienced terribly cold weather and 2 of our 3 children complained of dry, chapped lips.  So I decided to make them some homemade lip balm using natural ingredients I had at home.
I find it comforting knowing that all the ingredients are natural and that there are no additives or dyes to worry  about.

There are many versions of homemade lip balms out there, but this particular one only takes a few ingredients and you will be amazed how it easy it is to make.

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon of coconut oil
1 teaspoon of sweet almond oil
3 drops of Vitamin E oil (from capsules)
4 semi sweet chocolate chips or 1/3 teaspoon of cocoa powder
2 drops of pure peppermint extract or other flavour extract you would like

Directions:
- Place ingredients in small heat safe bowl and set aside.
- Place some water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil
- Hold bowl with ingredients over boiling water and stir contents until melted and thoroughly combined
- Once combined, pour mixture into small containers and allow to cool (do not close container until it has cooled down)

The lip balm will keep for up to 8 weeks, but you should store in a cool place to avoid melting.

The lip balm smells delicious and I love how easy it goes on your lips, leaving them soft and moist (this sounds like a CoverGirl commercial doesn’t it?).
You are not limited to just one flavour as you could easily combine various flavours together to customize to your liking – Chocolate/Cherry, Chocolate/Orange , Vanilla etc.
So fun for a little girl’s birthday party or even a Valentine’s Day favour, don’t you think?

Have you ever made your own lip balm?  Do you ever worry about the contents of some of the lip balms or lip glosses available?

Thanks so much for stopping by today!  I hope you have a beautiful day.

You may also want to try this natural Coconut Rose body Scrub.

Comments

Such a great idea! very sweet flavour lip balm!
    I want to start a page as your ans recently I asked a web design company ELCO PLANET (www.elcoplant.com) to develope the page for me.. I was just interasted for web hosting..can you please advice me about web hosting provider..have you ever heard for http://www.elcoplanet.com offering hosting, alfa reseller hosting… ? thanks a lot

It sounds so charming and yummy. I want to try some right now! That is a fun gift idea!, and your photos make it all look so enticing!
    Cindh

Yum! I love making this kind of stuff homemade. But right now I have a ton of natural chapsticks/lip balms to use up before I attempt this. Pinning for that time :)

This is a great tutorial! I’m all for anything that has chocolate in it, and the Colorado winter has me going through lip balm like it’s going out of style. How wonderful to know how to make it at home!

On another note, your photography is fantastic. I love the contrast of the vintage green with your mint, chocolate, and lip balm. It’s a visual feast — well done!

What a great idea. Will have to think of a masculine flavour for my son-in-law, who works outside in all sorts of weather.

Can see some xmas stocking fillers coming from this.

6. Tasha says

Hi, I made this last night, and it is great!! But for some reason it is still not solid at the bottom… it still works, but what did I do wrong?
    Thanks so much for any advice!

Original Vegan Palm Oil Free Soap! It has pure essential oils to create the amazing natural fragrances. Palm Oil Free, SLS Free, Not tested on Animals and 100% Cruelty Free make the Earth collection simply brilliant.

Mine is not getting solid either. What did I do wrong? I used exactly the same amount of ingredients you listed above.
    Lokking forward to your answer :-)

Hi Kristin, sometimes when the oils are overheated or overstirred, they separate and will not completely harden. You have to make sure that the ingredients are melted in very low heat, it takes a little longer but you will yield better results. You can also cool it in the fridge, if that doesn’t work,you might want to add a couple of grams of organic bees wax to the mix. For that you will have to experiment as the amount of bees wax you put in, will determine how solid the lip balm will be. Hope that helps…xo