Hand Painted Fondant Cake

painted fondant cake_
It’s early Sunday morning and I sit here in a busy airport overlooking the beautiful snowy mountains of Salt Lake City as the sun rises behind them.
I’m heading home after a busy yet fun weekend at SNAP. I had the honour of helping my dear friend Jamie from FloraCraft at their booth this year.
Our booth was reminiscent of a beautiful little flower kiosk in Paris, displaying large buckets overflowing with an array of flowers for people to choose from and make their own little floral arrangement. It was as beautiful as it sounds.
I had the opportunity to meet so many of you and I’m humbled and so grateful by your kind words.
painted fondant cake_-3

As you might know I have had the honour to work with FloraCraft for a couple of years and each month I look forward to their challenges. This month’s challenge was another fun one as we got to create with styrofoam cake forms.  painted fondant cake_-4

I’ve been wanting to create a painted cake for years, but the opportunity had never presented itself.  The process of painting a fondant cake is similar to the process of painting sugar cookies. (HERE painted fondant cake_-6

Styrofoam cake forms are great for dummy or display cakes. They can last for years and are also often used for photshoots.
Here are some tips when decorating a cake form.  painted fondant cake collage

Cake forms come in many shapes but I used the 4 “ .
Tip 1. Lightly sand the edges of the cake form to remove the sharpness of the edges.
Tip 2. Lightly sand any seams found along the side of the cake form.
Tip 3. Slather some vegetable shortening all over cake form.
Tip 4. Roll and cover fondant cake.
painted fondant cake_-7
To paint the cake, I use Wilton food coloring gel. While painting I found that using either vodka or clear vanilla extract are the best to dilute and rinse your brush.

painted fondant cake_-9

I placed a couple of fresh flowers on top but for a little more interest.

painted fondant cake_-10
And there you go, a pretty hand painted fondant cake.
Thank you so much for stopping by today. I hope you have a beautiful day.

lucysignature2

Comments

1. Tammy Pegher says

Oh my goodness what a beautiful cake!! Great job, you’re so talented. I could probably make the cake….but definitely could not paint it lol its beautiful : )

Oh my word, Lucy – that is the most beautiful cake I have ever seen in my life! It is beyond stunning. Just wow!

You are incredibly talented – and a heckuva photographer – thanks for that lovely eye candy goodness! ♥

3. Lynda Ramage says

Can’t take my eyes off it. Lovely………You make it look so simple. Would love one ounce of your talent.

4. Renee says

Your work is beautiful. I am in dire need of your advise on a previous tutorial. Watercolor crepe paper flowers. I am making a few centerpieces forms wedding and a version of the flower you posted i hope to feature however I cannot grasp the watercolor and my petals do not crinkle. Please help.
    Thanks

5. Diane says

You say these cakes can last for years. How are they stored? Boxed? Under glass? If I want to keep out for a decor piece, do I keep it under glass or simply leave it exposed? Thanks!

Absolutely gorgeous. I just made a buttercream basket cake with flowers on top but if I could paint like you, I would definitely paint fondant covered cakes.

7. Gail Plaskiewicz says

Wow, I thought this was real cake! It’s so pretty. I only wish I could do what you do. I’ve painted my greeting cards with water colors but I stamp them first & then color them in. My drawing skills are not so good but yours are.

Lucy,
    That may be the most beautiful cake I’ve ever seen. I am a great fan of flowers and art and you have combined both to become a masterpiece. Just gorgeous!

This cake amazes me. I keep looking at it. I love the beauty of your painting and the 3D effects of the real flowers and fondant leaves. So beautiful!