Tabletop Christmas Tree Using Free Clippings

tabletoptreediycraftberrybush
Feelings of sadness have engulfed me these past couple of days with all of the sorrow that is going on around the world. I’ve not wanted to create or decorate as I feel like what I’m doing is insignificant in the grand scheme of things, leaving me with a sense of “what’s the point?”.

But I was recently reminded that although there’s so much darkness and palpable evil going on all around us, we must continue to shine, to love, to laugh. Not because we want to turn a blind eye to reality, but because we can’t allow darkness to take away our joy and silence our message of PEACE and LOVE.

I shared this very message on my Instagram yesterday and one particular response moved me – ” It’s good to see something else than our terrible French new world. It’s so dull here. Watching you preparing those Xmas decorations give us light. Thank you.”  – Agnes from France

Friends, if each one of us is able to put a smile or inspire one person and make them forget for just one minute about all the ugly out there, then we’re being that light and isn’t that what we are called to do?

Today, I wanted to share a fun little craft with you…

tabletoptreediycraftberrybush-2
I love this particular Christmas craft because it’s almost free. If you have access to a nearby forest, you can find plenty of fresh greens or visit  your local Christmas tree farm where they usually discard some of the branches when shaping the Christmas trees.

You will need:
Fresh green clippings
FloraCraft wet foam cone or FloraCraft wet foam brick
Shears
Small vessel or container
Pot

tabletoptreecollage
I used a floral foam brick but you can find a pre-shaped cone at your local Michaels.
1. Soak foam in water until it no longer floats.
2. Insert into a small vessel.
3. Using a knife, cut off pieces of foam to form a triangular shape.
4. Cut several sprigs of fresh green clippings in various sizes.
5. Start at the top and work your way down.

IMG_0214

Fill in any gaps and place the entire thing in a decorative pot. And there you go!

treegifcraftberrybush
I have been having too much fun with GIFs lately, so don’t be surprised if you see more of them in future posts. Mostly because it took me a long time to figure out how to make them, so you better believe I’ll have to share them…ha.

tabletoptreediycraftberrybush-4
We’ve been enjoying such beautiful weather lately and I’ve been taking advantage of the beautiful sunlight..:) I’m happy with the way our Christmas decor is evolving this year as it really feels like me.

Capture
You can find more fun craft ideas at Make it Fun Crafts and download the free Christmas e-book from their website.

Thank you so much for stopping by today.

lucysignature2

tabletoppin

Comments

Lucy,
    Grat idea. I always ask for the clippings, but had never thought to use them in that way. I love it! You made the cutest tree and it has a great shape too. Thanks for the inspiration. With recent events I agree with you, but you inspired me today and that’s what it’s all about.
    Jenn

2. Elaine says

Hi Lucy: A year ago, I had to really downsize from a house to a condo and let my Christmas tree go. I have room in the condo itself but the storing of it after the holidays presented a problem. It, and the decorations, just took up too much valuable room – so this little tree will be just perfect for my needs. I was going to buy a tabletop but like this one much, much better. It will definitely smell nicer (lol) and won’t be sitting in my storage locker for eleven months of the year! Thank you for the cute idea and am sending my very best wishes to Paris!

3. Cindy Brown says

Glad to know that someone else is deeply feeling all of this turmoil. I just feel that there is a cloud hanging over me. I love this idea and always pick up fresh clippings each year and try to figure out what to do with them. Thanks for this fab idea and I can’t wait to try it!

4. Kim says

Your comments that celebrating the small daily beauties of life even in the face of darkness, were so inspiring for me! Besides having just returned from my beloved Paris, a dear friend was killed in an auto accident near our home the same day. The past several days have been, as you can imagine, extremely difficult for our family. Your lovely post this morning reiterated a beautiful sentiment I heard during an interview of a Parisian father and his young son. While laying flowers at one of the memorials in their city, the father explained that the flowers and lit candles were their protection, their light in the darkness. So I will take your advice and continue to put flowers and candles out, to take our stand that we won’t let the darkness envelop us.

It is beautiful Lucy- and I love your message! So much truth- we need to continue to strive towards love and joy and towards the light, even in dark times:)

6. Paula Diekhoff says

thanks for the tutorial! I made the tabletop tree and it looks professional, if I do say so myself. My mom would be proud of me for using “scrap material” (free tree boughs) that would have otherwise been discarded!