DIY glass lanterns

Hello to my new Craftberry Bush friends!  I’m so excited to be here today from my blog anderson + grant.  It is an indescribable feeling to now be able to share my creations on one of my favorite blogs.   I’m so grateful to Lucy for this opportunity and hope that you’ll be able to find some inspiration for your own projects from what I put make.

On my own blog, my posts tend to be about simple projects and tips that you can do to make your home (and life) a little more special.  I enjoy finding inexpensive and easy ways to get the look that you desire.  My projects here are going to be no different.

I’ve been seeing glass lanterns that have twine around the top all over the place .  A few of my favorite stores, must-follow blogs, and the most popular magazines seem to be featuring these in different ways and I really like the look.  Recently, I was in a store that was selling these lanterns and I decided that I needed to follow the trend.  But as I carried it around the store, it dawned on me that I was going to pay $20 for something that was really only a small glass jar wrapped with a little twine.  Back to the shelf it went, and I left the store with my DIY in mind and headed instead to the thrift store.

Goodwill or any thrift store always have an overabundance of glass  jars in all sorts of shapes and sizes.  I picked up a few that I knew would work for almost nothing.

To make these lanterns, you’ll need just the jars, thick twine, and  hot glue.

Start by attaching one end of the twine vertically to the lip of the jar with the hot glue.  Then glue the twine in the same way to the opposite side.  This will form the handle of your lantern.  You’ll want to attach it far enough down that it will be wrapped over a few times with the twine in the next step.

Without cutting the twine, begin wrapping it around and around the lip of the jar.  Glue it well so that the twine is secure.  When you get to the top, cut the twine off and glue the end onto the jar.

It was that simple and I was going to spend $20 to get it.  Instead, I made a few for less than $5!

There are so many ways that you could decorate with this look.

I filled one lantern with decorative stones and added a candle.

In another, some succulents were planted in dirt.

You could also fill the lantern with water and add some flowers or leafy branches.

The handle should be secure enough that the lantern could even be hung on a shepherd’s hook outside filled with candles.

So many possibilities for this inexpensive craft!  I’d love to know what you think in the comments below.  Is this something you’d make for yourself?

jamie Find Jamie here: FB, Pinterest, Instagram, Blog

Comments

I love this idea! I was just looking at a giant glass coffee jar, trying to decide whether to put it in the recycling, or add it to my collection of dusty jars. This is the perfect thing to do with it! Thanks Jamie :-)

• says

That sounds like it would be a perfect jar to use for a project like this, Nicky. Maybe since you have the idea now, it won’t have time to become a dusty jar in the collection! Believe me, though, I know all about those collections of dusty items :) Thanks so much for commenting!!

Jamie

Slaps forehead in frustration, “why didn’t I think of that?” ;) What an amazing idea! I love the look of small lanterns, but, like you, didn’t want to spend lots of money, especially since I would want multiples. :) I am pinning so that I don’t forget these on my next thrift store shopping trip! Have a great week!

• says

I do that all the time with DIYs I see on Pinterest and in blogs! There are times that I see people selling things that I totally could have made a bunch of money on….if only I would have thought of it first. I’m happy to hear that you like this project. And I love the idea of seeing more than one in a group or hanging somewhere. Enjoy making them!

• says

Thanks Rebekah. I think that people who don’t like crafts and DIY are really missing out on something fun….and a great way to save money! It is nice to hear that you share in my passion for doing it yourself. I really appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment today!

That is genius Jamie. I always like anything youmake, so elegant! I will definitely have to try this. I am the twine lady after all, using twine to wrap up all sorts of unusual things on my blog. Hope you have a chance stop by!

• says

Haha! I can totally picture you doing that! The great part is that once you get tired of it being used in this way, you can deconstruct it and have your glassware back. I re-re-repurose everything I do :)

These are so super cute! I seen some similar to these at Target that I really wanted but they cost an arm and a leg, Im absolutely going to make some of these!

5. Teddee Grace says

Definitely would make. Particularly like the one with the pebbles, and shells would be nice as well.

I have a whole box of mason jars I think I will try my hand at it-keep a couple and fill with decorative stone and a candle see how they sell

7. Shelley says

I saw your post this morning on Craftberry Bush-Yeah for you! So excited to see blogging opportunities come your way.

• says

This lantern idea has a very coastal kind of look to it, so shells displayed in side would look very pretty. Since they are “special-to-you” shells, it is nice to have an interesting way to showcase them. Glad to have given you a little inspiration, Elizabeth!

Hi Jamie! I absolutely would/will make these. I have a ton of empty PB & J jars that I like to save, ‘just in case’ ;) Well, just in case happened. Thanks for sharing this at Craftberry Bush.
    Kristine :)

• says

Love to hear that you found a use for something that you’ve been saving! That is a neat idea to use PB&J jars. This idea looks great when you can have multiples that all look the same. Have fun creating!

• says

Thanks for your question Brian. This jar is pretty large and would take awhile to really heat up. Even with smaller jars, I’ve never had the glass heat up enough that would seem like it would be a fire hazard. My only caution would be to make sure that there isn’t any of the twine sticking out anywhere that it could catch fire from the actual flame.