The flocked tree – secret garland revealed

Hello friends! I hope you had a great weekend.
Christmas is only 10 days away…can you believe it?

I’m not sure about you, but it feels like these couple of weeks
have just flown by. I have been so busy with various things, that I
haven’t had time to really take in all the beauty of Christmas.

I am looking forward to next week, when we can just disconnect for a
bit and enjoy lazy mornings, delicious foods and the company of family.

But not before I share the crazy secret behind our flocked tree.
My Christmas decor usually evolves as I go along, but I do think of a theme
ahead of time as I like to collect items for it throughout the year.

So last year, I decided that in 2014, I wanted to
have a frozen tundra theme and include lots of fur.

While planning, I thought I had had the most brilliant, unique idea.
You know, the ones you think of in the middle of the night
and you think to yourself ‘no one has ever done this before’.
I was going to make a fur garland.

Well, I went ahead and bought the fur and was getting ready to make
it into a garland, when I saw one of my dear bloggy friends post this.

So much for my ‘unique, never been done before’ idea. The story
of a blogger’s life right? Well, I find that when we encounter these sorts
of scenario, it pushes us to think a little harder and out of the box…

Do you remember this other crazy idea I had last year? The one where
I made a fluffy wreath using Dollar Store dusters (see the tutorial here)?

Well the duster was sitting on the table nearby and suddenly the light
bulb went off. Why not use the dusters as a garland? I sadly took the
wreath apart and started to insert the dusters into the tree..and I loved it!

I drove to the Dollar Store and bought the entire display
of Microfiber Feather dusters
We took them apart and simply inserted
them into the crevices and gaps in between the branches.

See them there sitting all fluffy and perfect?

It works, no?

In the evening the tree glows beautifully…

…and it really looks like it’s filled with snow.

Here’s a photo I took during the process, just to see how the garland
photographed. You can see how I positioned the dusters and
how it really made the vision of my ‘frozen tundra’ come to life.

I have used similar method before using white feathered boas on my white tree.
So there you go…the secret revealed and
an example of thinking out of the box. :)
 I hope you have a great day…xo

Comments

• Mary Ann Hempe says

I loved the tree usings the feather dusters. I immediately went out and bought some dusters to get ready for next year. Thanks for sharing your wonderful ideas.

• Annette says

I went out and bought the 360 degree refills too. I have already taken my apart and am ready. I even ordered the fake snow from Amazon. I was thinking about putting my tree up and calling it a winter tree. Why didn’t Isee this before Christmas?

What a wonderful idea! Lucy you are too cute!! I have one or two of those dusters for reaching those hard to get at places.
    Yes I had also seen the fur cut into strips to make garland.
    You give me much inspiration. My hubby saw your pillow with the beetle carrying the tree..So he suggested I paint him a pillow with his 49 ford p/u. That’s an upcoming post.

Hi Lucy, I am in awe, as not once did I think of a duster. You are amazing at repurposing. Thank you so much for sharing such a great idea and they look amazing on your tree. Blessings and smiles, Emilou :-)

I was wondering what you used…Thank you for sharing the secret! I have never actually like flocked trees, because they didn’t look natural, but your tree really does look like snow has gathered there naturally. Perfection.
    judypimperl.blogspot.com

4. Leonie Hoekstra says

i love it. I do a Narnian Christmas and add to that every year. I think that’s a great ‘snowy’ effect.

5. Regina Martelloni says

LOVE your home and all your incredible Christmas decor!!! Where did you purchase the beautiful ornaments on your tree? Particularly the light turquoise ones? Just gorgeous!!!

6. diane says

I am so bummed unless they have these dusters in the store they don’t online. I really want to make this wreath, it matches my apple green and white theme.

7. kyle says

Would also like to make the wreath, but t can’t find duster. When you say dollar store do you mean Dollar General or do you have a store called dollar store. If so where are you located. One comment says dollar tree. Please help.

8. Kathy says

The white tree with the red on it is my favorite. It looks like the perfect tree. By the way, I love your artwork and just recently ordered a print.

wow! This is a great idea! I was looking for a way to make our Christmas tree look like this, and here you are! The snow doesn’t even look like dusters! Fabulous! I’m going to the dollar stor today for sure! Thanks!

10. Kim Hughes says

Your tree is beautiful, I know what you mean by your mind be racing in the middle of the night also l want snow on my tree,so I’m going to try spraying it with snow !!

11. Jill Loggins says

Please help me find some similar dusters. Dollar Tree does not have these now or anything like it. I say something similar at target but they were $5 each.

Thank you Lucy for this tip. I used it this year on my tree and my daughter thought I had lost my marbles but once she saw the result, she absolutely loved it….so thank you.