don’t you? I like the way the stamen looks pretty realistic.
1. Add food coloring to a deep dish full of water. I used three drops of red and two drops of yellow for the outer petals and three drops of yellow and one drop of red for the inner petals. Experiment with the amount of food coloring to achieve the look you want.
2. Cut a 4″x4″ square of crepe paper across all the folded layers and dip into the food coloring mixture. Make sure that the color penetrates through all the layers.
3. Allow paper to drip dry for a couple of minutes. I simply hang the paper off the side of the bowl.
4. Place paper on a microwave safe dish and heat for 30-40 seconds at a time (time for drying will vary according to thickness of paper and make of microwave). Please make sure you monitor the drying process and do not exceed more than 40 seconds at a time. The paper will burn in the centre if left in the microwave for too long.
5. Once paper is dry, cut several petals at once (not pictured) making sure the grain runs with height.
6. Sculpt petals using cupping technique. You do this by holding either side of a petal with your thumbs and forefingers. Slowly stretch the entire width of the petal with both hands, using the thumbs to push into and cup the petal and the forefingers to stretch the paper away from the thumbs.
These put a smile on my face…:)