Super easy sugar lemon scrub recipe

The temperatures have been hovering above 10 celcius of late. Could this possibly be a sign winter is finally behind us?  I hope so.  With the harsh winters we experience here in Canada, my skin seems to also suffer from the elements.  So I make it a habit to thoroughly clean my face every night adding different homemade scrubs once a week to my cleansing rituals.

Exfoliating your skin not only gets rid of dead cells that limit moisturizer penetrating your skin, but it also leaves the skin feeling smooth and silky. But how often should you exfoliate?  That depends on your age and skin type.  Mature skin (40+) tends to be dryer and more delicate so scouring might not be as beneficial. Where younger skin tends to regenerate every 15-20 days, mature skin regenerates every 30-40 days.

If your skin is oily, you should exfoliate more often than those with dryer skin as dryer skin needs all the natural occurring sebum it produces.  This delicious and natural sugar scrub is composed of lemon grind, which contains citric and plant acids that work to cleanse, while lightening and brightening the skin and removing dead skin cells.

Cocunut oil – which acts as an antibiotic – contains mulitvitamins and multi-nutrients which nourish and moisturize.

Sugar lemon face scrub

1 cup of sugar or baking soda
1/2 cup of coconut oil or olive oil
1 teaspoon of lemon zest
1-2 drops of lemon extract (optional)

Simply mix all ingredients together and place in an air tight glass container (use baking soda if you have sensitive or dry skin).  In order to use as a body scrub, replace sugar with sea salt or Epson salt.

Here are some tips when exfoliating
- Do not use body exfoliators on your face as these tend to be coarser and could damage the sensitve skin on your face
- Do not apply makeup after exfoliating
- Exfoliate your neck also
- Always test on the back of your hand prior to applying on your face
- Exfoliate at night.

How often do you exfoliate?  Do you have a favourite scrub recipe that you use?

Have  a wonderful day!

Comments

I love homemade scrubs like this and experiment with different ones often. I like a simple sugar/olive oil scrub to exfoliate and moisturize my lips. :)

I want to give this a try….first time making my own face scrub. I am going to use baking soda as I have dry skin. Hope these questions aren’t silly but…..do you find any big difference between using olive oil or coconut oil and how long does it last?
    Thanks for posting this and I also enjoy your blog very much !! Lynn

• says

Hi Lynn..thank you so much for dropping by. In regards to coconut oil vs olive oil there is no difference in terms of moisturizing. They both contain great moisturizing elements yet coconut oil contain antibacterials that claim to aid with acne. Also the lighter oils like olive oil tend to get rancid quicker than the more solid oils. You might want to try both and see what you prefer as every person’s skin will react differently…hope that helps…xo

• says

Thanks so much for taking the time to offer these helpful tips. I will try both ways like you suggested. Love following your blog…..you are so talented. Thank you for sharing with all of your readers !! Have a wonderful day !!!

3. Anonymous says

Hello, ms. Lucy! I’m loving your blog to bits. :)
    I have this little question. What do u mean by lemon zest?
    is it the ground peel? sorry not familiar with the term.

I’m so going to make this! I’ve recently been on an all-natural mission; have already made homemade deodorant.

Unrelated question: How did you create your sweet signature at the end of your blog post? Thanks! :)

I totally tried one using another recipe combo and I thought the lemon would sting in some places, but I found out that it’s totally mild. Now I can’t wait to try that one out and add some of my favorite essential oils in the mix. Awesome picture taking skills, BTW. Stay beautiful!

George Chambers @ Amani MedSpa

This is definitely a must-try! Lemon is already known for its exfoliating property, and mixing it with sugar and coconut oil will help it easier to remove those dead skin cells. However, while exfoliation can make the skin feel smooth and supple, it won’t be advisable to use it frequently. Doing so might lead to skin irritation, especially if you have sensitive skin. I hope this little info helps. Thanks for sharing!

Ervin Willis @ Main Street Massage Therapy

7. barb says

What a lovely array of talent! Just happened upon you. Couldnt figure out how to subscribe but I will check in again. Thanks for sharing what you have done!

8. Julia Lampros says

Just found your recipes and used for the first time the lemon facial scrub with baking soda and coconut oil. LOVE!!! I am a 57 year Young! Woman, and this was gentle, refreshing, and left my face feeling awesomely refreshed and clean! Do you refrigerate the Scrub after making it? Thanks!

9. Anonymous says

Hi. I love this scrub. Sorry for the silly question but, where am I supposed to keep this scrub? Does it have to be refrigerated? Thank you so much and sorry for the question.