A collection of baskets…my Fall mantel 2012

Hello there…how have you been?
It doesn’t feel like Fall outside just yet, but it’s starting to feel like it inside.

Here is the Fall mantel I worked on yesterday.  What do you think?

I kept the colours very monochromatic and tried to use all of the little things I have laying around at home and some that I have been collecting of late.

Do you remember my old little French milk caddy DIY?  Well, here’s its debut comeback appearance.  Although, I think it may be overshadowed by those oh so cool wine jars I purchased during one of my trips to the thrift store.  $3.99 each and there were three of them…gotta love that!

And of course, I had to use old books.  I’d like to say they’re my ‘signature’ item on every mantel I put together.

TIP: An easy way to update the look of your home from one season to the next is to bring items that remind you of that particular season.  An example would be the wool shawl I draped over the chair and a stack of books that say…’oh this is going to be a great day to cozy up and read’….

The baskets are all from the thrift store. I have found that people rid themselves of baskets regularly and they cost a mere $1.99 each; and the smaller ones were only $0.99.  Once you place a collection of anything together, the scene becomes cohesive and it works.

I filled this little basket with dried hydrangeas and the neutral pumpkins I had painted last year.  I also filled in some of the empty spaces by placing the dried fern and ivy from the Summer mantel (you can see my Summer mantel and all the other mantels in my project gallery)

Another homemade touch – you can read about these antlers and how to make your own here.  I thought of painting these white, but think I’m going to make another set this week for our living room and paint those white…:)

So there you have it.  For very little money and a little bit of imaginative freedom, you can change the look of your mantel or any little nook in your home.  I like it for now, but I know I will change it (actually, after seeing the photos, I have already begun shifting things around…ha).

I have also been working on other crafts, and had my first ever double fail, which I’ll share later on….eek.  For now, I want to wish a beautiful day and I hope to talk to you all very soon.

Lucy

ps. I told you I change my mantel constantly …I wanted to see how an empty frame that I found on the side of the road would look …what do you think?

annnnddd…. I’m also getting really nervous and excited in anticipation for our upcoming Happy Hour linky party this friday…yikes.

I’m sharing here…

Thrifty Decor Chick
Cedar Hill Ranch
Coastal charm
C.R.A.F.T
Savvy Southern Style

Comments

I love your light coloured mantle. Especially the basket filled with dried Annabelles and white pumpkins. Did you just paint these white??? And are they last years??? Great idea!
    Bye,
    Marian

• says

Just read your post about the painted pumpkins from last year. They’re not real, OF COURSE, already thought that would be impossible ;-) Wish I could find some fake pumpkins around here but even the real ones are hard to find so I think fake ones will be even more of a problem ;-)
      Bye,
      Marian

Oh my goodness! I love your mantels so much Lucy! This is beautiful. I just want to sit in that chair, and snuggle up with a book and big cup of hot cocoa :) I will be there on Friday for your happy hour link party!! – Holly

Ok, now I want to go get my baskets back from the thrift shop! Love the monochromatic look of the mantel. The mirror is beautiful and such a great price:) but I like it without.

Love the mantel and those skeleton keys. I wish I had a mantle to change seasonally. With the frame is my favorite. The colors of the frame seem to pull it all together.

this looks so great, i love the naturals and the textures, and of course the books. could you let me know how you hung those baskets? i just got some trays that i’d like to hang, and i’m not 100% sure how to do it. nails? command strips? tying a ribbon the back and then putting it on a hook?

I have to say it’s refreshing to see light walls! I love my light home, my light colored walls and how they create a serene backdrop in my busy design life. Sometimes I think others will think that I am just too lazy to change them, and yet I love them so! Large windows, tall rooms, light and bright space is how I work best :-)

Thank you for checking out my barn wood sun. Your mantel is gorgeous! Thrift shops are the perfect place to get baskets. They always have a ton to choose from and as you said for great prices!

I think this is one of the prettiest mantels I have ever seen! I love the baskets and you are able to put everything together so beautifully. Will you please come help me with my mantel? I have a wood plank to give you in exchange… ;-)

HOLY COW…this is amazing and so different. Just beautiful and, if I can, I am going to copycat you. I don’t have the awesome items you have but, maybe I can “make do” with things around here.
    Over from the Mantel Party

What a beautiful mantel, Lucy! I love its monochromatic feel (and the added frame)! Glad to have found you at Centsational Girl’s mantel party. *Becca* (www.adventuresindecorating1.blogspot.com)

I never thought of the actual baskets themselves as a form of art. It’s interesting how when you hang them up on your wall. They really bring your home to life.