Cherry Syrup Lemonade…two ways

Hello friends, I hope your week is going well.

We’re currently experiencing our first heat wave here in
Ontario; which means finding ways to stay cool and hydrated.

When I think of a cool refreshing drink for summer,  I immediately think of
lemonade and of course an ice cold Diet Coke, but I need to work on that bad habit :(

In trying to keep a healthy low sugar diet, I have written two different
lemonade recipes.  Both using fresh cherries to spice it up a bit…

Cherry Syrup Lemonade (the traditional way)

Lemonade
1 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup of sugar
3 quarts of water
Mix together and stir until sugar dilutes

Cherry Syrup
1 lb bag of cherries pitted (you can use sour cherries for a tangier taste)
1/2 cup of sugar
1 cup of water
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
Combine ingredients and simmer for about 30 minutes. Strain and reserve syrup. Allow to cool

Serve lemonade over ice and add syrup to taste, stir and enjoy!
(note: you can replace the sugar for the syrup with Sucanat)

The key to the healthier alternative is to make single servings using a sweetener like Stevia drops

Lemonade (the healthy version)
Juice from half a lemon
1 cup of water
Stevia drops to taste

Cherry Syrup
3/4 cup of cherries pitted and mashed
3/4 cup of water

Simmer cherries in water for 15 minutes, drain and reserve syrup.  Allow to cool in fridge.
(note: by mashing the cherries, you will release some of its natural fructose which will sweeten the water naturally)

Serve over ice and combine lemonade and cherry syrup to taste, stir and enjoy!

I look forward to this time of year to enjoy the taste of cherries….

And did you know that cherries are as effective in getting rid of a headache as aspirin?  They are very rich in anti-oxidants, particularly in melatonin, which can cross the blood brain barrier easily and produces soothing effects on brain neurons.

God sure knew what he was doing when he created nature!

Go ahead and make yourself a nice tall glass of cold lemonade as either version will refresh you!

Stay cool!

Lucy

Comments

Oh- That looks SOOO good! Do you know we are the cherry capital of the USA and they just announced that because of the early summer that it is the lowest production of cherries EVER. They are keeping them in WI instead of shipping them worldwide this year. Sad! xo Diana

• Anonymous says

I live in the Cherry Capitol, too. The early summer and drought sure has been heartbreaking for our farmers, big and small.

I am going to try this recipe for sure. It sounds so delicious!
      Sheila

holy moly this looks amazing!! I am dying in this heatwave we’re having today and this would make the perfect drink to cool off with. Thank you for the recipe! cant wait to try it

Oh my goodness, those cherries look divine. So yummy. I live in Trinidad, so it is always hot…that drink looks absolutely delightful. Sure could use a drink right about now. AND the great thing is that we have a cherry tree! :)

New GFC follower and Pinterest follower. LOVE your blog. It is so beautiful.

Tami

yum!!! i’m in Texas and it’s been super hot&muggy here- thanks for this post! i feel inspired to make, drink and serve a beverage healthier (and even a little more refreshing) than sweet tea and dr. pepper :) great recipe!

Looks quite delish! Last month for my son’s high school graduation party we made 5 gallons of blueberry lemonade (school colors were black & purple) that got rave reviews from the guests.

6. Anonymous says

I live in southeast Michigan so I’m feelin’ the heat along with you. AND I have fresh cherries in the fridge – thanks for the refreshing recipe! Joanie

I feel refreshed just looking at your pictures Lucy! These recipes sound great. I’m enjoying the wonderful fruits of the season.

Heya! I understand this is somewhat off-topic however I had to ask.

Does building a well-established blog such as yours require
    a lot of work? I’m brand new to blogging but I do write in my diary every day.
    I’d like to start a blog so I will be able to share
    my personal experience and views online. Please let me
    know if you have any kind of ideas or tips for new aspiring bloggers.

Thankyou!

Pretty part of content. I just stumbled upon your blog and in accession capital to claim that I acquire in fact enjoyed account your blog posts.
    Anyway I’ll be subscribing for your augment and even I achievement you access consistently quickly.

Aw, this was a very good post. Spending some time and actual effort to create a superb article… but
    what can I say… I procrastinate a lot and don’t
    manage to get anything done.

I do trust all the concepts you have presented for your post.

They’re really convincing and can certainly work. Nonetheless, the posts
    are very brief for novices. May you please extend them a
    little from next time? Thanks for the post.

A friend of mine fondly calls self-hypnosis a “microwave sleep”, which
    is incredibly apt. The ultra light weight and long battery life allows me to just enjoy my music or audiobooks without worrying about a spent battery or extra weight in my pocket.
    When bad times arrive at our doorstep and our modern electrical utility systems are no longer available
    and functioning we simply can not rely upon the moon or
    flashlights to illuminate our yards.

Thanks , I have just been looking for information approximately this subject for
    a long time and yours is the best I’ve came upon so far.

However, what concerning the conclusion? Are you positive in regards to the source?