The advent calendar….

Hello everyone.  First of all, I want to wish all of my American friends a beautiful Thanksgiving Day; may God continue to shower you with blessings!  We have so many things to be grateful for and as you gather around the table with your loved ones, I hope you can take a minute to say ‘Thanks’.

Today is one of those days where the words do not seem to want to sprout onto the screen, even though I’m trying my hardest to cultivate them.  I look around the room and see pictures of the kiddies smiling back at me and a muted giant screen TV displaying hog hunters hard at work (I’m both disturbed yet shamefully intrigued by these reality TV shows).

I look up at the bright pot lights and wish I could ‘clap’ them off instead of having to get up and switch them off.  If only one of the kiddies was here; I smile as I remember my husband and I joking with them by saying parents only have children to turn off lights or fetch them items that might be out of arm’s reach.  Their little faces not amused but knowing full well that they are our sole reason for everything we do.

Such is the case for this little advent calendar.  It’s simple and did not take me as long as the one from last year (you can see it here), but nevertheless it was made with love for my little ones.

I realize that you can purchase mini buckets at craft stores, but as usual I wanted to make them myself and save some money.  Just in case you wanted to make your own, I have made a little tutorial for you…

1. Dixie cups, pliers, coloured paper, craft wire, glue and tissue paper if desired.
2. Dis-assemble a Dixie cup and trace out the pattern
3. Cut pattern and set aside
4. Make a semi-circle out of craft wire and bend the edges to form a little hook

5. Punch two small holes at either side of the cup (I used a toothpick, as I don’t own a small hole punch) and insert the wire at either side; with pliers close the loop
6. Glue pre-cut pattern onto cup
7. Cut or draw some numbers onto your ‘bucket’ (I used my brand new CriCut I had received for my birthday last month…YAY!!)
8. Cut a square piece of tissue paper if desired and insert into your brand new bucket

I love this colour combination so much!  I recently posted an album with this colour scheme on my FB page and  I think that served as my inspiration.

I’m still not sure what we will place inside the cups; the candy canes are glass decorative ones, which was disappointing to some little people around here.

Well my sweet friends, as I reach the end of this post, I would like to THANK YOU for stopping by.

Every time I come here and read your comments I am humbled and grateful, not only on Thanksgiving Day, but everyday!

Lucy

Linking at these inspiring places, thank you for hosting!

Comments

WOW! that is awesome! You did a great job and it sure looks like it took a lot of work. I’m sure your kiddies will cherish it and love that you did something so special like that for them! I love the colour palette too. Great job!

Beautiful!! I’m really loving the blue and red this year. I would love to feature this on an advent post that I am doing on Friday. I’m sure your kiddies will love it!
    Jenn :)

What a sweet idea. I will have to share it with my daughter for her children. Thanks so much for the Thanksgiving wishes. Although we are living in hard economic times, we still have so much to be thankful for…most of all is the love of our families and friends.
    Laura

Fun idea! We took the commercial route and went with the LEGO Star Wars Advent, this year – my son can’t wait. I have an idea for a family advent that I’ll be sharing soon!

What is it about aqua and red? My mother would be horrified, but I, however, love it. Bravo for taking the leap from red and green. I applaud your creativity.

Wow! Adorable!!! I’ve seen many advents so far this year, yours is my favorite. It is super cute. Great job. I hope you’ll share it at The Corson Cottage for our {Home for the Holidays} link party every Friday in December. Carrie

You just brightened my day…what a fun festive cheerfully colorful project!
    For the boys I think a Hot Wheels car in each cup would be perfect and the girls I think lip balms and glosses. Maybe some caramels and fudge here and there too. :)
    Found you through Today’s Creative Blog. Have a beautiful day!

Wow, what a stunning Advent calendar! I think it is one of the prettiest and most festive I have seen! Thanks for sharing the great tutorial too!

I am hosting an Advent calendar link up as part of my 12 Days of Christmas series at my Christmas blog. I would be honoured if you could pop by and link up this wonderful post!

Best Christmas wishes,
    Natasha.

Dear Lucy: This has to be the most gosh-darned cutest advent calendar around! You have done a lovely job (I wish mine was as sweet but oh well) and I’ve got this linked to my advent calendars post too today, for inspiration!

10. Anonymous says

I just completed this project this morning. I got all my supplies at Dollar Tree: white paper cups, red wrapping paper, number stickers, foam Christmas themed stickers, and double-sided tape. I also got all the trinkets from Dollar Tree: erasers, candy, nail polish, etc. Since small children can pull down on the ribbon if I hang the cups with wire handles and clothespins, I eliminated those two all together. The cups are now lined up on my mantel. Perfect! Thank you for this craft!