A rose tutorial just for you…

As promised, here is the rose tutorial.  I hope you find the instructions easy to follow.
You will find that the initial preparation takes a little bit of time, but I hope you’ll agree that the end results are worth it.  I would love to see how your roses turn out.
This is the rose we will be making, let’s get started…

Here is what you will need:
Coffee filters
Food colouring or dye (red and yellow)
Floral wire
Floral tape
Scissors
Paint brush

1. Dilute food colouring or dye in water (the richer the colour, the darker the rose).  In order to expedite the process, use a large container where you can place several coffee filters at the same time.
2. Place coffee filter in the coloured water.  The longer you leave the filter in the water, the richer the colour will be.  Continue this process and allow to dry.  If you are like me and don’t like waiting, you can use a hair dryer to expedite the process.
3. In a small container, dilute yellow and red food colouring or dye to make orange; this will be used for the centre of the rose (you can skip this step and the next step, however,  I think that this is what makes the rose so realistic looking)
4.With a paint brush, gently add the orange/yellow colour to the edge of the filter.  The filter must be dry or the paint will run and mix with the pink. Once again, allow to dry.

Is this not the most beautiful bunch
of coffee filters you have ever seen?

5. Once the filter is dry, take the filter with the orange edge (not very noticeable in the picture, but you want it to be very gradual) and fold in half.
6. Fold that half in half.
7. Cut the bottom of the filter as shown
8. Open the filter and cut a slit on one side only as shown.

9. Take your floral wire (sorry, I forgot to buy some and so I used a pipe cleaner; it works well but it’s not as sturdy as floral wire)
10. Start wrapping the coffee filter around the pipe cleaner
11. Continue wrapping until…
12. The entire filter is wrapped around the wire

13. With floral tape, tightly wrap bottom of rose as shown
14. In a similar way as steps 5 and 6, fold filter to form a triangle (I folded it 4 times)
15. (Optional) With your scissors, scallop the edges.  This does not have to be perfect.; nature is perfectly imperfect.
16. Open filter and repeat steps 9-13.  You will repeat steps 9-13 until you have the desired size. For this particular rose I used 4 filters in total.

17. Once you are satisfied with the size, wrap the filter one last time but this time…
18. Wrap the entire wire

19. It’s difficult to tell from the pictures but the last row of  ‘petals’  looks like one continuous petal.  In order to give the rose a realistic look you will have to cut the filter in the shape of a petal..see fig. 20.
21. I tried to show you with an arrow how the cut would look (I apologize for the quality of the picture)
22. The rose is now done.  Now it’s time to fluff it up and make it look real by adjusting the petals.  Use the method I showed you here (steps 6-7).

……………..Take a deep breath……………..
And we are done!  As I mentioned before, the initial process of dying the filters takes some time, but once you have all those beautiful filters ready, you should be a master rose maker by your second rose! (fingers crossed for you)

I can almost smell it…

I displayed my roses on Our Valentine’s Mantel, if you get a minute jump over and take a look.

I hope you found the tutorial useful.  If you have any questions, please let me know and I will respond to them as soon as I can.  Don’t forget to share your new creations with me.
As for the jar tutorial…..well…..I will try to get that to you as soon as I can, but like I said before, it’s a work in progress so I have yet to master the technique.  Perhaps we can learn together?

I’m going to enjoy a nice cup of tea now. See you soon!
Lucy

Comments

Lucy- Thank you so much for doing this. I have seen them made but never quite took the time to figure out exactly how to do it. These are wonderful! Wonderful! Did I say wonderful? You are SUCH an amazingly talented lady! Hugs- Diana

Thank you SO much for posting the tutorial for all of us!! I can’t wait to make a bouquet to put in my craft/guest room once I finish making it over. :)

These are beautiful!! Thank you for the tutorial sweetie!! I will be trying this out very soon and be sure to share the outcome and a link back to your blog on mine!!! Your mantel looks beautiful!! Many BIG hugs!

Wow – so beautiful! I have made roses out of crepe paper before, but these are so much better!! Thanks for sharing the tutorial!! Following you now!

Thanks for sharing this wonderful tutorial. I’m going to give it a try. The roses are so beautiful and how nice that they’ll stay “fresh” for a long time. Thanks for this sweet inspiration.
    Lynn at Cottage and Creek

I love this! Thank you for showing us how to make these beautiful roses. I have wanted to play with the coffee filter flowers but I love your coloring idea!
    Thanks so much! I’m dying to see how you make the jars aqua!
    Faye
    (wildrosevintage)

Thank you for linking to my party! Just popping in to let you know that I featured you on my wrap-up. Thanks again.
    ~Gay~
    itsahodgepodgelife.blogspot.com

Ok, I am back to say 3 things. I love your blog. It is beautiful and you are quite talented.
    I made the roses..pretty, they make me happy.
    I gave you a little award, I see you got one this week, but because your blog is so lovely I decided to give you another.
    Theresa

Just found your blog,and am so happy I did. My granddaughter turns 2 in March and I want to use the roses for her party. Thank you so much for giving me a craft I can actually do

10. Jan from Wyoming says

I just came upon your blog and have been enjoying it. I read about making the beautiful pink roses (I want to try making them) and am delighted in seeing your mantel. Next, I want to check out the newspaper? roses. The jar idea is something new to me, and I am eager to read about how you make them. Now, I will just browse about and enjoy. Thank you so much for sharing!

Those are the prettiest roses I’ve ever seen. You should make a wreath too! Thanks for the tutorial.
    Dropping by from How To’s Day. Hope you’ll come see the informal picture wall I did for DD2.

Allison
    Atticmag

12. Anonymous says

so excited I’m finally trying this! I’m waiting for them to dry and it’s killing me! I’ve been looking for something like this for a long time thank you for sharing!

Thanks so much for this tutorial! These are so beautiful & I’m so excited about trying this project but sadly, mine look nothing like yours. LOL! *sigh* I wish I could figure out what I’m doing wrong. Any chance of a video? :D

It is nice tutorial blog, i have one of my Air cleaner business. It control the indoor air quality by reducing pollutants that can contribute to headache, lung irritation and fatigue as well as more long-term conditions such as asthma, allergies and infectious diseases. I hope you like it.

With this Option Trading you can do further investigating and practice Options Trading. If you want to plan your own strategy, and you want to investigate it on past occurrences. You can go back in time, place your preplan strategy, and go forward. Every single day you will be able to fix partial or whole legs and the system will calculate your profit and loss accordingly.

16. Anonymous says

Love these!! Just made my first one, and waiting for the next round of filters to dry! They work perfect with my mantle decor! Can’t wait to show my husband when he gets home from work.

Air Conditioning Baltimore business, it will help you select the best air conditioner for your budget. Bigger is not always better. It will analyze your home to ensure that the right size air conditioner is selected for optimum cooling and comfort.Acumen Heating has wide range of experience with many different brands of air conditioners including American Standard.

18. Anonymous says

ok everyone has done such a great job! I love this idea i am stuck though! everyone has been able to do this without a problem and here i am with a problem… so sorry!! I want to master this task!! Please help! Im stuck at step 13, I have wrapped my filter.. now do I take it off the wire?? and then cut it again…??? again so sorry to ask a “dumb question”… lol

Hi…it’s not a dumb question so please don’t worry ..what I do need is your email address so I can respond to your question, you’re a ‘non-reply’ blogger …hope you see this …xo
    Lu

20. Anonymous says

I just tried my second time, and I don’t get it … each time I wrap one around it just seems so tight, and not fluffy like yours, (meaing spacious). Yours looks so lose like a real rose, I don’t get how you do that. what is the purpose of folding 3 or later 4 times ? (meaning the coffee filter ) please help as they are so pretty – (bechbumm59@aol.com) thank you. – Stacy

Thank you Lucy for your very good tutorial . The result was a beautiful rose…. Thank you again for your time and care to show us your work. I wish you success and a hug from me and Brazil,my country.

i really like this rose tutorial easy and stylish, and you can add more color consistent to make it more decorative, Thanks for share.