March of the penguins

It’s Sunday afternoon and the snow is falling like powdered sugar over a sweet dessert.  My kiddies noses are pressed against the window as they watch this magical confetti turn the ground into a soft white blanket.  Their excitement fills the air as they quickly gather their snow gear and prepare to step into a winter wonderland.
Sometimes creativity blossoms out of the blue; sometimes it takes a little more effort; but if you just let inspiration take you away, anything can happen, including something like this…….

May I show you something?

My original idea when making these little penguins was to have the kiddies take them outside and knock them down with snow balls, like a carnival kinda game. But after painting their cute little faces, I fell in love with them (I say that in the humblest way possible) and decided to paint the rest of them to coordinate with the stocking advent calendar.  And I am happy to report, they have marched up the stairs and reside safely in the warmth of our upstairs hallway.  Needless to say, I will have to make other little creatures for use during snow ball target practice (perhaps I have found another use for an earlier creation?)

And here we are, acting like penguins on a perfect winter afternoon.

I hope you allow your creativity to take you away today…….

Lucy
Linking to:
DIY Club

”Pretty

”Pretty

”Pretty

Comments

Oh my goodness, if this isn’t the coolest/cutest upcycle craft I have ever seen. My first visit to your blog & I am already bookmarking every thing in sight!! Thanks

What lovely penguins, and the family is even lovelier! Although, my husband might not appreciate my snagging his pop bottles. lol
    Thanks for the idea!
    Hugs~ Shellie

these are adorable and what a great use of old plastic bottles! i can’t believe how creative you are. i can’t wait to try my hand at these. stopping by from tatertots and jello!

I have never posted someone’s artistic geniusness on my blog before, but today I am!

Hope you don’t mind. It is an awesome idea…plastic bottles…woo hoo!

I have a penguin *CRAZY* little girl who would just absolutely love one these. I will definitely have to give it a go ;o) You did a great job creating these. Thanks so much for sharing!

Darling, darling, darling. I want to make some. But I have some questions.
    1.After you sprayed them with primer, did you use craft acrylic pants?
    2. Did you glue the two halves together, or just wedge one inside the other? If you did glue, what brand or type of glue did you use?
    3. Did you weight them with sand before you put them together?

Thanks for the close-ups. It helps us less-talented people get an idea of how to make the knit hat and scarf LOOK like a knit hat and scarf.

I will check back for your answers so you don’t have to hunt around for my blog.

These are adorable! I love these! You did a fantastic job with painting them too. I can’t wait to make some of these. Thanks for sharing your talent with us.

8. Mary Lou says

Being a big fan of penguins, I too have fallen in love! Too cute for words and I will have to make at least a trio perhaps holding carolling books?

HI Janet ! I hope you are well, I tried to send you an email directly but was not able to find one…so I hope you will come back to read the response here…I used DecoArt Acrylic paint after an initial coat of spray paint.. The stars are not actual stars but little snow flakes from the Dollar Store I hung around them just for fun….hope that helps…have a wonderful Christmas…xo Lucy

• says

Hi Dana, I hope you are well, thank you for taking the time to visit. the directions for the penguins are pictured in the actual post. I do not have a step by step of the painting process.(sorry)You can use penguin picture as inspiration and just have fun with it…thanks again, and sorry I could not help you further..:( hope you have a great day ! xo
      Lu

10. Anonymous says

Lucy: These little guys have absolutely tugged at my heartstrings. So much so I’ve sent the link onto my daughter …. thought it would a perfect project for my grandsons to work on during March Break or at least on weekends leading up to Break. I also sent the link to a friend’s daugher-in-law (Daycare Teacher), in hopes that they’ll enjoy these wonderful little bundles of joy. Thank you ever-so-much for bringing into my little world. ………ash

These are really cute. You are very creative. My craft group will be making these the next meeting. what kind of glue did you use (if any) to put the parts together? i was planning to use the 16 oz soda and water bottles. Are they going to work?

12. Karina says

Hi Lucy!
    Your penguins are soooo lovely!! :D
    I fell in love with them at first sight! ^__^
    I’m a preschool teacher in Brazil and I found this a great idea for making toys from recycled materials.
    I’ll definitely try sometime soon! ;P
    Thanks for the inspiration!

Love this..wanted to do it for a family craft workshop at church, but needed it to dry in one afternoon. Used fleece hats & scarves to cut down on the drying time & we all loved it!

14. Anonymous says

Lucy, we Loved this penguins! In our daughter’s class we suggested and each kid got one from parents to share at school! Thank You! Great idea!!!

I would like someone to e-mail me the pattern for these cute penguin’s…I would like to make them for my granddaughters’ for the holidays this year. please. I`m not on the computer a lot and have no idea how-to get this pattern any other way then to ask ,and hopefully someone will see this and send it to me.. THANK YOU

16. Karen Howard says

Hi Lucy. lovely Photo of you & your family. I just found your Soda Bottle Penguins! Oh-they are sooo cute! I am definitely going to make some of these! Thanks. Oh-and I subscribed too.