Fall in love with Fall….

I grew up amongst canvasses and paint brushes, music notes and instruments.
There was always someone creating art or music around me and that is perhaps why I often refer back to my library of childhood memories when doing crafts.
While doing this craft, I reminisced about a time sitting by my father’s feet and creating with him.  As I turned each page of the book, I heard his wild stories and funny jokes which will always be archived in my heart.
During a recent visit to a local Urban store, my eye caught something that reminded me of my dad and his ‘crazy’ creations.  They were simple frames covered in newsprint along with tote bags and baskets weaved from old magazines.
Even though we were not very recycle savvy back then, my dad would make little stools out of old telephone books for my brother and I.  We would sit by his side and help him fold each page of the phone book until it would become a piece of furniture.  Brilliant!
The materials:
Old paperback book
thick cardboard
scissors
ribbon(optional)
garden stick
exacto knife
hot glue gun
tea bag (optional)
Draw the shape of your pumpkin on your cardboard and cut it out
Remove cover from book
Place cardboard over book and cut along with exacto knife
You will have to continue cutting  until you reach the end of the book

Trim all the little bits of paper (although I personally like the way this looks)
Make some tea!

With the tea bag, stain the pages of the book
Glue the stick to the back of the book
Glue some pages around the stick; the clip holds it while it dries
(note: my pumpkin will sit on a shelf, so for this purpose it’s better if the back is flat. If your pumpkin will sit on a desk or table, you will need to glue the back).
…and that’s all she wrote (get it? it’s a book…nevermind)
‘FALL’  IN LOVE ………
How about a little white pumpkin with the kiddies?  Simply take some white paper and fold in half.  Staple the centre to form a little booklet and have your child cut the ‘pages’.  Glue a little stick and there you go.  These would also make lovely place cards or you can make a streamer, so many craftberries….
An apple?  Tres jolie!
Hope you enjoyed today’s Craftberry…………………..

Comments

Such a great idea to make a shaped book sculpture! I love all the variations you showed us too, the teacher in me really likes the apple:) Thanks for sharing with us at A Crafty Soiree! Please join us next time too!

PS: I think you linked to your main page instead of this post. To get a direct URL to your individual posts click on the title and it will open in a new page. Copy and paste that into a linky party for a direct link. Make sense?

I found your blog through pleasures of Homemaking -I’m sure glad she mentioned your blog on her post-your blog is amazing -You have already been placed under my favorites :-)

I’m sorry but this is not recycled, this is destroying something that someone else could put to good use. It upsets me so much when people come up with *recycled* ideas for books. If you want to recycle a book, donate it to someone who can’t afford to buy one or your local public library.

Lucy, it sounds like you had a wonderfully creative childhood surrounded by art, craft, and music.

Saying “and that’s all she wrote” at the conclusion of your book-pumpkin tutorial was very funny. I love the weaving of words.

When you mentioned the stool you created with your father, it reminded me of doorstops created by my great-aunt (who was not only a top-notch recycler, but also had a noggin designed for knitting and complicated math calculations).

Having taught high-school math, she was my algebra tutor. I did not absorb the math, but did learn how to make the doorstops. Hers were created from big, thick Sears and Roebuck catalogues. She folded each page diagonally – down from the outer corner to the center and when she was finished, the doorstop was shaped like a tiki hut.

Thank you for sharing this idea. This is definitely perfect for paper pumpkins for Halloween or paper bells for Christmas. This recycling idea will definitely help in reducing paper wastes; thus, helping preserve what is left of our environment. Again, thank you for this post. This is such an inspiration.

PaketLiburankeBali.org