Hello Craftberry Bush friends. It’s Annie here from Zevy Joy, and I’m always so excited when I get to visit with you all. Today I am sharing a very simple tutorial for making an elegant DIY Faux Marble Tray.
I know I’ve said it before, but I really enjoy using trays in decorating. They are versatile in so many ways and wonderful for any style of home. Marble is equally as versatile in decor but can be a bit pricey even when used as part of accessories…
…so I found an easy way to transform a piece of wood and turn it into an affordable faux marble tray!
Here is what you will need to make one too!
- A smooth flat piece of wood or particle board (size of your choosing). As seen here, I had this board that was scratched up and discarded from another project that I wasn’t using. Therefore, it was perfect for a different DIY! I just love it when you can take something old or worn down and make it new again.
- Handles and matching screws that fit the dimensions of your board.
- Drill and drill bit (for making holes and then screwing in handles).
- Marble contact paper. I found this one here on Amazon, but I have seen varieties of contact or shelf paper at craft stores, grocery stores, etc… It seems to be everywhere ;).
Here is how you will make this tray…
- Measure and drill the holes for your tray. I put them in a couple inches from the edge. *As always, practice safety when using tools.
- Measure out your contact paper and leave enough on the edges to wrap a bit underneath. Do not leave too much excess as it will be harder to work with.
- Remove the backing from your contact paper.
- Carefully place the sticky side of your contact paper to the board and position it. You can always reposition if needed.
- Press down firmly and try to get as many air bubbles out as possible. Wrap and press the sides too.
- Now cut the edges so that they will make a joint fit. Basically you are cutting out a triangle shape, you may need to trim and play around with it for the perfect fit.
- Screw the handles on…
- And you are done! *Please note, this tray will NOT be food safe.
Now you have a marble looking tray for a fraction of the cost =).
I chose to dress mine up for a late rainy morning breakfast.
I placed all the necessities needed to serve blueberry scones, petite grapes and of course my very favorite – coffee! I arranged it all in one spot on the newly made tray.
Wouldn’t this be a lovely combination for catching up with a dear friend and chatting with the pitter patter of rain dancing on the window?!
My kiddos were the recipients of this particular set up today and I treasured their company too ;)…
They especially enjoyed the scones, haha.
Simple DIYs can really go a long way and bring such elegance to the home. They can be faux and inexpensive too, it is hard to notice or tell the difference. And with this specific DIY you could make trays of any size or even in a trio. It can be used for holding jewelry, displaying vases/candles and so much more! I also thought it would be fun with faux wood contact paper.
I hope you enjoy and please let me know if you do try it out. Thank you so much for visiting with me today and to Lucy for having me. Have a wonderful rest of your week!