1. Mix flour, baking powder and baking soda by sifting together onto large bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk egg and sugar. Once whisked, add milk to mixture and whisk again to mix together.
3. Slowly add milk and egg mixture to the flour and mix together. The consistency should be like pancake batter, but not too runny and not too thick.
4. In a deep pan heat approx two inches of canola or vegetable oil. Test the oil by sprinkling a drop of water; the oil should sizzle.
5. I don’t have a funnel so I used a gravy boat to pour the mixture onto the oil and it seemed to work well. Pour mixture over oil in circles trying to form a web.
6. Allow cake to rise to the top and turn over once it reaches a nice golden brown colour (approx 30-40 seconds).
7. Remove from heat and place over paper towel to remove excess oil.
8. Serve on a plate with a scoop of vanilla ice cream (or in our case, cookies and cream because we had no plain vanilla)
9. Drizzle some homemade strawberry syrup and sprinkle some icing sugar on top
10. Dig in and enjoy!
Check out the original recipe here.
Today I neglected responsibilities (which I will undoubtedly pay for when I go to bed at 3:00am), but seeing the happiness in our children’s faces and hearing their laughter makes it all worth it.
The day started off a little gloomy and rainy and as I started to set up my work station (ie. the family room floor), I remembered our summer to do list which is written on our chalk wall.
One of the items on the list is play in the rain, and so we did…