Adult Coloring Book Gift

DIYDecorativeColoredPencils

Hey Craftberry Bush friends…it’s Annie from Zevy Joy. I’m excited to be back this week to share a fun DIY that I think would be perfect for gifting.

I love giving gifts but sometimes get stumped on what to give. Depending on the person, it can be a little tricky picking out the right gift while also doing it on a budget. Fortunately, it’s the thought that matters most!

DIYDecorativeColoredPencils

I always enjoy walking through pretty little gift shops and the thoughtful and creative gifts they have so brilliantly displayed on their tables. It was those very shops that provided the inspiration for today’s idea.

DIYDecorativeColoredPencils

I keep hearing lots of wonderful things about the adult coloring books out there and thought it would be fun to pair it with some decorative colored pencils; pencils that could easily be left out beautifully displayed on someone’s desk.

So I got to work and made a set and here is how you can too…

DIYDecorativeColoredPencils

• You will need colored pencils (I used CraZart), scissors with a pencil or paper cutter, ruler, a variety of scrapbooking paper and a glue stick.
  • Cut strips of paper the length of the pencil (minus the sharpened point) and the width (allowing a little extra to overlap). It will depend on what colored pencils you use, but my strips of paper measured about 1 1/2 inches wide.
  • Next, cover the strip with glue and begin wrapping your pencil very tightly around.
  • Add extra glue on the finishing edge of your paper as you finish wrapping to ensure it will adhere.
  • As a side note, these sharpened fine for me and while it does take some of the paper off, they still look great (I had a silly little sharpener too that wasn’t very high grade – ha!)

And that’s it! This little project was so easy, looks special and adds a little detail to a desktop or gift.

Knowing that I had thought of using this as a gift, I wanted to share how I would put it together in a basket too…

DIYDecorativeColoredPencils

Just by putting some simple and inexpensive things together, you can have a lovely present for a birthday, housewarming, Mother’s Day gift or even an Easter Basket for someone more mature.

DIYDecorativeColoredPencils

I used bright colors that would compliment the newly made colored pencils and stuck the goodies in a small crate (because gift “baskets” do not necessarily have to be in a basket).

DIYDecorativeColoredPencils

I added a pencil holder to match the pretty paper and of course the piece that ties it all together, an adult coloring book from Leisure Arts.

DIYDecorativeColoredPencils

Flowers are always a good idea (I used faux in this scenario because I was looking for specific colors), and who doesn’t love a little butterfly to brighten your day?

DIYDecorativeColoredPencils

Mixing patterns between floral and stripes gives visual interest to the gift.

DIYDecorativeColoredPencils

Sometimes grown ups need to display their art too =), so I made sure to include some magnet clips that could be hung on the refrigerator.

DIYDecorativeColoredPencils

Being someone who loves art and gift giving, this project was a treat to do and share with you!

DIYDecorativeColoredPencils

Comments

1. Caroline says

What a thoughtful gift, I would be over the moon if someone gave me that! I am just taking a few painting baby steps and I’m sure that such a colouring book would give me more confidence to try out different colour combinations.

• says

Hi Caroline, thank you so much and I enjoyed trying these coloring books out for the first time too! I think that it is a wonderful idea and how fun to be painting!

2. Toni says

I recently purchased an adult coloring book for my 83 year old mother who paints in oils and watercolors. I thought she might like it…..she not only LIKES them, she LOVES coloring in the books while watching TV. She’s completed two books and it’s provided hours of enjoyment for her. I highly recommend them for the elderly….men love them too!

• says

Hi Toni and that is wonderful! Yes I agree, it really is enjoyable to color these books and thanks so much for sharing- I appreciate it.

3. Gail Plaskiewicz says

I love this idea! My colored pencils have the color of the pencil on them so I wouldn’t do this for them but for colored pencils that are generic and don’t have any color names on them, I would so do this. However, I could write on the striped paper in the white part the color of the pencil! Oh my gosh, I could do this! I love the idea!
    Toni said she purchased an adult coloring book for her 83 year old mom. My dad is 92 and on a feeding tube. He used to make beautiful leather belts, hair clips, bracelets, etc., and some he colored.I’m thinking that from all the coloring sites on-line I can make my dad an adult coloring book. His hands don’t work so well so it can’t be anything that would require a lot of small spaces to color. I could make him some of these pencils! I think that since he doesn’t do a lot of things because he can’t anymore he might enjoy doing this. I have a clipboard so he has a hard surface to do the pages I print out. Oh my gosh, thank you so much for the amazing idea and Annie too! I can’t wait to try this!

• Kris says

Gail–another thought–the pencils may be too narrow for him to work with if he has a hard time grasping objects, but I have successfully used this foam tubing with my patients: http://www.maddak.com/closedcell-foam-tubing-assorted-color-p-28100.html

It won’t be as pretty as with the paper, but it might be more functional.

I gave my 85 year old mother a coloring book for Christmas, but her macular degeneration makes it hard for her to see the pictures, even though I tried to get one with bigger pictures. The children’s section in Barnes and Noble has some coloring books that might be more suitable, as the details are larger. Another idea to try, if anyone has a parent with similar issues, would be to find some free pictures online and to enlarge them.

• says

Hi Gail, oh what a lovely idea for your dad and I enjoyed hearing about all the beautiful things he has created. Thank you for sharing and for the kind words, I am glad to hear you enjoyed.