The 2014 Holiday House Walk – Stop No. 11 – Craftberry Bush

Hello friends and welcome to our humble home.

I feel so honored to participate in
 tour again this year.

If you are coming from Jeanne’s house, welcome! I hope you loved
her home tour as much as I did, but if you haven’t yet had a chance
to visit Jeannemake sure you do…you won’t be disappointed :)

When I first set out to document our home tour, I thought would write
the usual – providing descriptions of each photo and calling out the little
details I have been diligently working on for a couple of weeks now. And I
will…but not before share something that has been weighing on my heart.

It is so important to me that when you’ve finished reading this post, you
will have hopefully gotten some motivation, perhaps a little inspiration, but
most of all, feel empowered to make your home as beautiful as you are able to.

Unfortunately during these home tours, we are often left feeling
somewhat defeated and fall into the comparison game. We feel as
if our home is ‘less’ or not ‘good enough’ or wish I could do that or
afford this. I say this from experience as it happened to me just
yesterday and I sense some (many?) of you share the same sentiments.

But it is during those times that we need to remember why it is we
put up Christmas lights, wrap gifts and gather. It is to spread the
Good News of Christmas and to show love, compassion and joy to
those around us. It is my hope that I am able to keep that as my
main focus as I start the holiday season and I hope the same for you.

If you frequent my blog, you may recall my vision for this year was a frozen
tundra. Admittedly, the name itself is not very appealing, but the vision of a beautiful
wintry forest covered in a white blanket of snow sounded so dreamy to me.

I knew our flocked tree would set the perfect stage for my vision.
Purchased two years ago, I appreciate it more with each passing year.

As I don’t usually use a tree skirt, I simply wrapped the base with a fur blanket
and placed birch logs, a few presents and some other knick knacks around the
base. I  lined this bushel with white fur and filled it with some large ornaments,
some white glittery branches from the Dollar Store and a few Christmas lights.

I will share details of the tree in a later post, including the
secret of the fluffiest most whimsical garland ever (you will
never guess what I used, unless you are a regular around here),
and the gorgeous ornaments from Balsam Hill.

Though I wanted a very white Christmas, I decided
last minute that it needed a little pop of red.

Wrapped boxes with coordinating colors become
easy and inexpensive Christmas decorations.

We purchased these mugs along with
the cozies at the Dollar Store last year…:)

Did you notice our new wainscoting? Hubby and I
have been hard at work, but they are so worth it.

Remember when I said I felt my wintry scene needed a
pop of color? It was probably because of this buggy pillow.
I know I’m bias, but I think it’s so adorable.

Our home has an open concept floor plan, with the
living room being adjacent to our dining room.

I kept it very simple this year…

…and used some of my flameless candles under these glass domes.

You can find how to make these yourself here.

I will share a little more of the hutch later, but here’s a peek…

Let’s go around the corner, Brody is waiting…:)

Our handsome pup always makes an appearance…

This is our family room.

In this room, winter has yet to arrive.

I decided that the neutrals and pale greens worked really well
with our new Balsam Hill tree as opposed to the whites of the
‘frozen tundra’. I will have more details on this tree next week.

I’m smitten with the greens and the brown craft paper together.

You can learn how to make these adorable
boxwood wreaths and mini banners here.

To me, a holiday home is mixing the old with the new…

…and making it feel cozy and warm.

A holiday home is filled with little things…

…little things that evoke precious memories
as you rediscover them again every year.

The warmth of fire and the softness of a shaggy rug under your feet…

Fleece blankets draped ready to curl into…
And that magical glow that only a Christmas tree can give…

Thank you all so much for taking the time to visit today.
Wishing you and your loved ones a very Merry Christmas :)

For unto us a Child is born,
Unto us a Son is given;
And the government will be upon His shoulder.
And His name will be called
Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Isaiah 9:6

6For unto us a Child is born,

Please make sure you head on over to my friend Melaine from
My Sweet Savannah as she is stop number 12. Tell her I said hello…:)

Comments

Your home is beautiful. I love everything you did to get it ready for Christmas. At the beginning of your post, you called it your “humble” home. I think magnificent is a better description than humble :). There is nothing humble about it!!

Thank you for sharing your beautiful home and sincere sentiments. I think we all get caught up in the comparison game sometimes, and that’s certainly not what this season is about!

So peaceful and serene, but just enough energy with those pops of red! I love, love, love the frozen tundra tree! Isn’t it amazing what those tiny touches of red do for the tree? Almost makes me think cardinals are flitting about. And that red buggy pillow? Gonna check that out! Thank you for sharing your lovely Christmas home!

Breathtaking, inspiring and very cozy! Thanks for sharing your home. Wondered if you could share where you got your cozy white/cream rugs? Thanks!

Stunning – truly there is so much thoughtful/beautiful detail in how you decorate. It is such an inspiration and most I love your message behind it all. Thanks so much for sharing!

Oh, Lucy! Everything is so unbelievably beautiful! You are so talented and have created a gorgeous and welcoming home for the holidays. Adore every little detail through and through. xo

lucy, it’s beautiful! i love the white area, and also love the cozy greens as well! you never disappoint! oh, and i used the same fur on my dining table! :) i shared it today but my full tour won’t be til next week. i guess i need to get my act together! ;) the house is decorated- just not tidy!!!! anyhow, love every detail and your gorgeous photos!

I want to thank you again for your IG post last night then reiterating in your post again here. I came away from the house tour last night deflated and looked at what I had and how it would never be home tour worthy! After reading your post I looked at everything with fresh eyes ~ the little things that spark a memory ~ some bring smiles and others a small ache in your heart as you remember those that are no longer here. I am enough ~ decorations are not the reason for the season and a strangers words can reach out and give you a little shake when it is needed ~ Merry Christmas to you and your family ~ you made a difference.

Your words at the beginning are perfect. I even fell into that trap after seeing the other homes featured yesterday…wondering if mine didn’t “measure up.” Keeping it in perspective can be so hard but I loved your reminder about remembering what it’s all about. Every photo in this post is a work of art…and every detail captivating and enchanting. LOVE all of your special touches.

Wow! From the entry to the very last picture, your tour is spectacular! Thank you for the written content as well. It’s very true, and needed to be spoken about. Have a wonderful holiday!

I just discovered your blog through this tour, and I can’t believe I’ve never been here! I LOVE everything you’ve done. The flocked tree is so so gorgeous, and I am completely taken with your family room and the natural colors and textures of all the decorations down to the wrapping paper and the wreaths. So lovely, all of it!! Thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas!

Miss Lucy, Craftberry Bush Artist, everything you share all year is superb! You inspire with both a beautiful spirit and with incredible artistic talent. Your Christmas home tour filled me with the Christmas spirit. There are so many great artistic ideas that I “pinned away” so I wouldn’t forget what I saw. How brilliant is it to have a little red bug with a Christmas tree atop it? My first new car was a little green VW. It never had a Christmas tree tied to the top, but I sure wish it had. I’ve always loved Christmas and love Christmas trees the best.

Recently I saw a post that Miss Mustard Seed wrote to herself on her 5-year blogging anniversary. There were many great insightful statements, but one piece of advice she expressed to herself was to recognize that whatever ideas she had some other blogger has already had them, but still do them anyway… poor paraphrase on my part… If someone as talented and well-known and well-loved as MMS is can have these thoughts, then that encourages me still to post.

You, Miss Lucy, Craftberry Bush Artist, are a fantastic blogger with creative ideas that I love! Keep up the good work. (Do I even know another blogger who created a new word for her blog title?)

Judith

My daughter and I are sitting her drooling over the beauty of your “frozen” tree. If that’s regular faux fur garland that you used, I hope you spill the beans on how you got it to look so fantastic, and if it’s not I am anxious to discover your secret ingredient. I live in the frozen tundra and it sure doesn’t look that pretty!

My husband used to say I couldn’t go to anymore home tours because I always came home dissatisfied. He doesn’t know I see so many beautiful ones on my tablet. Your snow tree is beautiful.

I have been rendered speechless…a rare occurrence for me as you know my sweet friend! ;-) Lucy everything is absolutely incredible. There simply aren’t enough adjectives! And your heart truly shines through in every word and every photo. Love you girl!

I love all of your little details — such a welcoming tour, Lucy! Thank you for your words of encouragement to keep the focus this season where it should be and not on our envy of others’ decorating prowess! Blessings!
    xo Heidi

So gorgeous, Lucy! You have such a gift for creating such beautiful vignettes! Many (including myself) are envious of your inspiring and creative talents! Happy Holidays!

Lucy,

Such a lovely post! You have the most wonderful taste level and an extraordinary sense of color. What a joy it is to look at each photo and take it for the artistic expression that it is. I’m a huge fan of white decor and generally light colors, but your photos of the kraft paper and sage packages under the tree are just magnificent played off the pine cones and gold ornaments. Very very beautiful!

Lory at Designthusiasm

19. Paulette says

This is so beautiful! I love the frozen tundra tree. I, unfortunately came away with feeling you did not want anyone to have. This is so beautiful and I don’t think I could do this in my small home. I have a flocked tree and plenty of white and silver ornaments, but I am not really sure I could capture the snowy essence of your tree. Would you share with us how you created the “snow” effect? Is it faux fur from a craft store? I have way too many questions so I will just admire and hope I can be as creative as you…….

20. Pam says

Do you have a tutorial on the wainscoting or can you explain how you did it? It looks like 1×4’s for the vertical boards but i can’y make out how the top was done