Painted Pumpkins…minions

UPDATE:Due to popular request I have posted a tutorial for the Minion pumpkins HERE.

Hi all.  Well it was a sad weekend for our
little family as we said goodbye to our kitty Benz.

He was 16 years old and suffering from kidney failure.  The kiddies were inconsolable and as a parent you want to protect them from any pain.  But at the same time, we felt it was important for them to be present and say goodbye.

After such a dramatic day, I wanted to cheer them up a little and
 painted these happy little guys. They are the minions from Despicable Me.

I used my trusty DecoArt paints
which work wonders on any surface…

I wanted these guys to greet them
after school and put a smile on their face.

They put a smile on my face…especially the guy on the right.

Forgive the quality of the photos as it was a cloudy day and I was still
in my pj’s taking photos as quickly as I could (that crazy blogger lady).
This guy seems concerned that a crow landed on his head.

Over the years, I have painted so many pumpkins,
 from Nemo…to Scoobydoo…to Frankenstein…
These were last year’s Angry Birds…

Morph butterfly….

UPDATE:Due to popular request I have posted a tutorial for the Minion pumpkins HERE.

In case you’re not familiar with the minions, here is a super short trailer…they make me laugh…:)

Here’s hoping for a great week!

Lucy

Comments

I am so sorry for the loss of your cat. I’ve had to have 2 put down in recent years and it’s so upsetting. They are like family members. I will keep you all in my thoughts.

Your pumpkins are adorable!

You did the right thing, letting the children say goodbye and then giving them something to ease their grief. It’s always hard, and it never gets any easier, but grief is the price we pay for love, (which is a surprisingly astute quote from the Queen of England.)

Your painted pumpkins are a joy. How creative and imaginative! And yes, you can always spot bloggers as the people taking photos outside in a bathrobe at sun-up!

3. Anonymous says

The painted pumpkins, especially the Frankenstein one is adorable. Thank you for all your posts, they are so inspirational.

Sorry about your family friend, it’s a hard thing to do. Thinking of you and family through your difficult time here. Hope the kids are doing better. It was a good thing to take them.

Michelle J

Sorry about your pet….I know how hard it is to lose them! I love all of your painted pumpkins! And I can sooooo relate to going out in your PJ’s just to get that perfect pic! Oh, what the neighbors must say about me! ; )

So sorry about your furry friend. I think I cried for 3 months when we went through the same thing with our cat.

On a lighter note, your minions made my day! They arae ADORABLE! What did you use for their glasses?

PS – I was on my front porch last night in my pjs taking photos ;).

Those are really cute – you do a great job painting! what did you use for their eyes?
    Sorry about your kitty – so sad when kids have to say good-bye to pets. I’m sure the painted pumpkins helped – what a great thing to do for them!

Sorry again about the kitty, Lucy. I love the minions! I usually see every animated movie out there, working with animation at my day job as I do at times, I love to see what animators can do, how far they have come…but I haven’t seen this one yet, just never got hooked up with my family as they went to see it and missed it on Comcast…I will get there eventually :-)

Oh my Despicable Me 2 is coming out? I better get busy seeing the first one!

Benz is playing with all of our lost ones, and grazing in the catnap patch..Mine is 16, an orange tabby. Time marches on,and i am not looking forward to the task hath will be upon us soon. your minions are wonderful…Keep up the chin….debbie

So sorry about your sweet kitty Lucy! I am sure your kids loved these awesome pumpkins, what a good momma you are :) Of course we know who the minions are… love those funny yellow guys! Amazing job transforming your pumpkins!

Lucy I am sorry to hear about your sweet cat Benz.I know how hard it is to lose a pet.
    Your Minions look amazing as do your other painted pumpkins! You are an amazing artist!
    xx
    Anne

Oh em gee Lucy!!! Your minions are adorable! You are so clever-crafty girl!! This is pumpkin decorating at a whole new martha stewart level :)
    So sorry to hear about your cat, your entire family must be so sad, I hope all the wonderful memories of having her in your lives will easy you all at this difficult time….it is so hard to lose a loved pet.

I’m so sorry to hear about your kitty, Lucy. Pets are such a huge part of families. It’s so hard when we lose them.

I LOVE your minions – and all of your painted pumpkins for that matter – you are a very talented painter!

hello my friends

I like your page, I need something like that, I need good re seller hosting, a friend of mine recommended me
    http://www.elcoplanet.com have you ever heard about them. i have checked there
    web site and it seems that they offer chip prices and good performances
    unlimited web hosting space and unlimited bandwidth. Thanks for your solutions :)

This is my second visit to your content. I failed to leave a comment before, and wanted to tell you I really like your article.

Our fuzzy four leggeds become family and bring much joy. We adore our boys (Ozzy the pit bull and Roscoe a shepherd/ lab mix.)
    I was wondering about the eyes too. It appears to be canning jar lids. Absolutely adorable idea! I am pinning.

Hello everyone ! Thank you so much for your sweet words about both our kitty and the minions…its hard to believe that it has been a year since.Because of the sudden popularity of the minion pumpkins I will be doing a little tutorial with the materials I used.
    Hang tight you guys and thanks again….xo

so…i saw the minions on pinterest, but nothing said how to make them…so i did a search and found your blog…yours have been the cutest by far…would love to know about the eyes for sure…
    on another note, i had to put my fur baby down due to kidney disease…it is awfully hard…luckily, my son was only one at the time, but we do have three other cats and i know the day will come again…what a great idea you had for your children…
    looking forward to the tutorial on the minion pumpkins! Thanks!

So important, as you said, to let the kids say goodbye. It helps them a lot.
    I like your painted pumpkins. Any quality photo can be used to decorate a pumpkin. Usually, I’m not much into the pumpkins that I see but yours are quite delightful. I wish more people would break out of the mold and really express themselves on their surfaces.

19. Kathleen says

Hi, I loved your article, but the tutorial on the minion project won’t play. Maybe the link is broken. I am going to try the milk jugs/glow sticks idea. I also have some small milk containers from happy meals that might work with those frameless candles with the switches. Take care.