Crepe Anemone flower tutorial

I hope you all enjoyed a great weekend.  Ours was filled with family, friends and good times.

I mentioned I would show you how to make these pretty anemone flowers, but before I do, let me tell you what led me to making them…

It all started a while back when I saw the insert of the picture above.  A Martha Stewart arrangement featured on one of her wedding projects.

I fell in love with the colour combo, the peach of the anemonies and the
minty grayish hues of the dusty miller. So I tried to recreate the flower.

This photo is from my first attempt. I was not too happy with the results so I didn’t post it.
But you might recognize this picture as one of my FB cover photos.  I don’t know why I thought it was good enough to display on FB but not here..(?)

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, when I spotted the same beautiful flowers in one of my neighbour’s garden.  I immediately wanted to bring it home with me but I don’t think they would appreciate me ‘borrowing’ their flowers.  I even thought about dressing like a ninja and sneaking in the middle of the night to ‘borrow’ the flowers.  But I couldn’t find my ninja outfit anywhere, so here we go with my next attempt….

Peach crepe paper
black card stock paper
floral tape
artificial stem from old silk flower
glue gun

1. Cut 5 large shaped petals out of crepe paper
2. Fold black stock in half (measurement of 6″x2.5″)
3. Cut several slits along folded edge
4. Roll all the way to the end
5. Glue onto stem by using hot glue
6. Hot glue petals one at a time around stem
7. Cover bottom of flower with floral tape

Tips: Prior to gluing petals, scrunch the top of each petal to make them a little ‘wrinkly’.  Cup flower in your hand and bring petals towards the middle to give it the appearance of ‘just blooming’ flowers.

I think they turned out very
pretty and here is another secret…

I spotted some crepe paper at the dollar store, but they did not have the colour I wanted, so I bought some in white. I then grabbed my DecoArt paints and mixed some orange, pink and white paint (1:1:8) and painted the crepe paper. The paper gets wrinkly and very fragile, and it’s a little messy but when it dries the texture truly resembles that of a flower petal. :)

I also painted some white card stock with a mixture of green, white and black to give me that beautiful gray minty colour.  I then hand drew the shape of the leaves (you can actually spot the pencil mark on one of the leaves of the bottom left) and cut them.

This craft was one of those five minute crafts I made on a whim.  Usually, those are the ones that I like the most…:)

So what do you think?  Do you prefer the first attempt, or the second?  If you prefer the flowers made out of card stock, follow the same instructions as above, except I did not fold the black paper strip in half; I simply cut the slits and then rolled the paper.

As always, I end by thanking you for keeping me company.  If this is your first time here, I want to welcome you and I hope you come back soon.

Funky Junk Interiors
Today’s creative blog
It’s overflowing..
Ask Anna
a.k.a design
Thrifty Decor Chick
Cedar Hill Ranch

Love the crepe paper flower. I recently purchased some crepe paper to make peonies with, but I think I like your flowers better.

These flowers are just amazing Lucy. Your family is so fortunate to have you and your artistic talents. Your home must be so lovely and how wonderful to have little changes with the seasons. In answer to your question, I prefer the second attempt!

I have several comments my most creative friend:

1. I love the high standards you keep for your blog – good enough is never good enough for Lu!

2. The way in which you see the world is incred-amazing to me!

3. I have misplaced my ninja gear, as well. It’s hiding somewhere, I know it.

Well another pin worthy tutorial from Lucy! I think I am going to start a Lucy pin board lol I love how you took it to the next level and didn’t settle on just plain white, and painted the crepe paper. That is an artist touch for sure!

These are gorgeous. Check out my Pinterest Faux Flower board and you will see that your flowers are stunning compared to the rest- and they aren’t too shabby themselves. Great job. I think you may have encouraged me to once again attempt a crepe flower….my previous attempts haven to even been Facebook worthy.

You sure captured the beauty of your paper flowers!! They look sooo lovely!
    And I love how you decided to paint the white crepe paper!! You just find a way, and that is so cool!!
    Have a wonderful rest of the week, Lucy!

Oh my gosh, I’m obsessed with this. I fell in love with that arrangement on Pinterest when I saw it a couple of weeks back. I’m so excited to make one of these for all year round. Thanks!

And if you don’t hava an old silk flower stem you can always use a skewer and cover it from top to bottom with floral tape

I think these are beautiful! I love how creative you are…if you can’t find the right color..just paint them! I am surely going to make these…I just can’t resist!
    I also love your ‘painted on book-page magnolias…they are just gorgeous.
    I just finished painting a magnolia with holly leaves on a large print Bible for my sister for Christmas. It really looks good!
    I love magnolias, being the southern girl that I am, lol!
    I also love this site…Keep up the good work!

10. Grendelia Balandran says

I love the crepe paper flower. The only place I have found the crepe paper is at a school supply store, but my husband went to Mexico and I asked him to bring me some. When he came back he brought me a full back of the colors and he said he paid 65 pesos about $6 or $7 us money. I will try to make some. Thank you for sharing.