JOY

This week I have been dreaming of purchasing a brand new tree; a white one, decorated in soft blue tones and crystal ornaments.  I have been dreaming of painting our family room and adding beautiful molding to the walls.  I have been dreaming of slip covers for my furniture and dark stain for my stairs to match our floors.

But alas, we are not financially able to make all of those changes right now and so I remain with that virtual vision in my head; the one where my house is picture perfect and magazine worthy.  The one where the sunlight streams just right through the window and reflects the crisp white walls and as the wind blows through, the white linen curtains gently ballet across the floor.  The picture where if I look out my window, I can see across the vineyards or better yet, I can see across the ocean.  Do you know that picture?

A few years ago, our little family went through some hardships, as my husband found himself out of a job for over a  year.  We depleted all of our savings and maxed out our credit cards.  Though financially we were at our lowest, our souls and hearts rejoiced during that time.  We found joy in each other and and we had that peace which transcends all understanding.  We explored God’s nature a little longer and played a little harder.  We hugged tighter, laughed harder and loved deeper.  That year taught us that as long as we have each other and God by our side, we can find Joy, not in the material but in life itself.

As another Christmas approaches and my human desires are to have more, newer and better, I feel that little bit of anxiety over not being able to make my ‘virtual vision’ come true.  But I stop and reflect on the past; on all of the things that we are fortunate to have but mostly, I reflect on the lessons learned.
I was once approached by an elderly woman as our little family sat on a bench enjoying some ice cream.  She looked into my eyes and smiled warmly while saying ‘you are a millionaire family’.  As she walked away, I immediately understood what she was referring to, but it wasn’t until now that I realize that she was right and full of wisdom.

The future is not ours, yet we can find comfort knowing that God is leading our way and that if our yolk is too heavy He will give us his, which is easy and light.  Don’t get me wrong, I believe that it is good to want and desire and dream; I think God wants you to be dreamers and achievers, the head and not the tail.  But it’s important to appreciate what we do have, even if it’s not like your ‘virtual vision’.  So today, as we sing carols while putting up our 15 year old tree, I will make it beautiful with homemade ornaments and as the author of The Merry Book of Christmas said:
Never worry about the size of your Christmas tree.  In the eyes of children, they are all 30 feet tall.”  And to us, that is all that matters.
Friends, as it often happens, my heart and thoughts took me on a different direction; as today, I wanted to simply talk to you about this little ornament I made, I also wanted to give you a little sneak peak into my Christmas mantel which is almost like the ‘virtual vision’ in my head. :)

I made this little ‘joy’ ornament by gluing some crystal vase fillers together with a hot glue gun. I then glued them onto a craft wire.  I left the wire visible as I want the words to appear as if ‘floating’ on the tree.  If you want it to look more polished, I would glue a satin ribbon onto the wire and then hot glue the letters onto the ribbon.

You can have so much fun with this idea, and form names or shapes such as hearts or snow flakes.

If you are not able to find these crystals, you can use pearls like I’ve used here.  Have fun!
Thank you for stopping by and helping cultivate my little Craftberry Bush.

Have a beautiful weekend.

Lucy

Get Craftberry Bush in Your Inbox!

Comments

Thank you for your lovely blog. I’ve been reading with glazed eyes (and my friend’s have been worried about what i’m going to do next) and this text was so beautiful. It’s good to remember what is important in life

There are so many people struggling financially (including me) and your words reflect what my own soul yearns to sing….I.AM.RICH….GOD.IS.GOOD….and YOU are a blessing to those whose lives you touch.
    I am grateful for a mother who taught me how to create,craft, sew and cook….for that’s where my gift-giving will be coming from this year at Christmas. I have already received the greatest gift of all, because a babe was born…..

3. Anonymous says

This is my first time commenting on your blog though I am a regular follower.

Thank you for your lovely and true words! We seem to forget the true meaning of Christmas: Love was born for us in the form of a Child.

It is a million times better to share a small (and even better, a handmade gift) with family and friends, than to miss Thanksgiving dinner to stand in line at a big box store.

Many blessing and much love to you and your family!

Ana Maria

4. Deborah E. says

I have been enjoying your blog and many projects for several months. Today I got to know you. I feel blessed that you shared your struggles and dreams. We are all as one together. I pray that one day your dreams come true.

I just wanted to say how timely your comments are on your blog today! My son has been faithful and completed a double degree and has applied for 150 jobs. He is still looking… We know God is a good God and He has an amazing plan for our lives.Thank you for sharing your life so openly. Your blog is so very beautiful! You create a delightful world for people to step into and enjoy. Thank you Sue

Your words and pictures are beautiful. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings with us. You really can make a difference in how I view things.

There is so much beauty in your words. Funny, we just put up our 15 year old Christmas tree and, you’re right, enough decorations and you can hide a lot of holes:-)

How sweet and full of wisdom. Just yesterday I found myself wishing I wanted less commercial things (although a hard task – we always want what we can’t have – human nature, I guess). If you have a chance to get a white tree, hop on it! I got one last year and LOVE it (much to everyone else’s chagrin!) Happy holidays!

Our family also experienced some rough times in the past 2 years – but you know – God never once let us go and we did survive. As I look back over all the things that occured in our lives I am amazed by His goodness and all the changes He has made in me. I am praying that the Lord will bless you and your family with a double portion in the year to come!